the latest on the soon-to-arrive little parr

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

"Uh, Brian, something's happening."

Guess who decided to join us out in the world this weekend? That's right, little Madeline Elisabeth decided she had had enough of her cramped quarters and joined us at 11:24am on January 22, three weeks and three days early. Before we went to bed Saturday night I told Maddie that I was ready to see her now if she wanted to come out (as I had for the last few nights). Well, I guess she believed me because at about 11:30 that evening, a mere 45 minutes after we went to sleep, Kars returned from the bathroom, sat down on the bed and said, "Uh, Brian, something's happening."

Karsee had had maybe three rather uncomfortable contractions over maybe 30 minutes when, much to both of our surprise, her water broke. Karsee had, after my pestering her about packing her bag for the hospital for the last two weeks, packed half of her bag Friday night. So, after an additional 45 minutes of groggy and directionless gathering of clothes and toiletries and bedding, we headed for the hospital (I still didn't have a coat on which I realized after only a few minutes of driving in the 30 degree car). Eight minutes, two cops and no speeding tickets later we arrived and were directed to a triage room.

The on-call OB doctor had to be paged three times and finally wandered in 30 minutes later still half-asleep and with incredibly funny disheveled hair. She confirmed that Kars' water was indeed missing, that we would be admitted immediately and that she was going to have a baby now (I think we both were expecting to be turned away and sent home until this point). We were guided to a labor and delivery room and settled in for the ride. One of our nurses, who were nothing short of incredible, set Karsee up on and IV and started the Potosin flowing. This drug is used to increase the severity and frequency of contractions. I had heard only bad things about it, but it seemed to be exactly what Karsee needed in this situation. With no amniotic fluid left, Maddie had to be delivered soon and though Karsee was already 3cm dialated, her contractions were just not in the right rhythem or strength to have Maddie in time.

I need to take a minute here to express how incredibly amazed I was at how Karsee hadled this whole ordeal. I know she was a bit scared in this new experience, as was I, and she was in immense pain for the first couple of hours after the potosin began taking effect. The nurse said she could have her epidural at any time including right when we got there. Karsee opted not to do it until the pain was more than annoying. Lisa and Colby showed up just after 2:30am to keep us company, so they can attest to this: Karsee was having major contractions and laughing at Colby's being freaked out about the whole baby thing. She handled her labor and delivery with the most awe-inspiring grace that I have ever personally seen demonstrated. She eventually got the epidural and was feeling no pain or anything else form the waist down from that point forward. Graceful. That's the only word I can think of that would describe her. Graceful.

Okay, back to the story. Edgar and Patricia (Kars' Dad and Step-Mom) showed up also about 3:30am. Edgar was quite a handful that morning, coffeed up and excited to have victory in his sight. You see, he and his sister Miriam had this contest going. They were the only two of seven siblings that had not become grandparents yet. Both Miriam's son's (Jeremy) wife Katrina and Karsee became pregnant around the same time and so both began boasting about how they were not going to be the last. Katrina was due a few days before Karsee, and eventually, due to complications, was scheduled for a cesarean for Monday, January 24th (she had little Jeremiah and both are doing well). Karsee (and Edgar) had all but conceded defeat last Saturday, then Kars went into labor and Edgar pulled into the lead and won. Anyway, Edgar was full of nervous energy that morning. Patricia was very glad to have married into the family when she did so she could experience grandmotherhood. They're both going to make great grandparents.

Okay, so fast forward a few hours. Karsee is now at 10cm, 100% effaced and at a station of +1. Time for the hard labor. The doc showed up and Karsee pushed through four contractions and Maddie arrived. This part of delivery could have easily lasted two hours. Karsee got through it in about 20 minutes. Hallelujah!

Madeline Elisabeth was three weeks and three days early, but in excellent health. At birth she was 19 inches long and six pounds. As you can see from the pictures she had a full head of long (for a baby) dark brown hair. She is quite possibly the most beautiful baby girl ever born on the face of the earth, ever. I would never have believed that I could love someone who I had known for only a few days as much as I love this precious little girl. She has already made friends with Jen and Darren's (friends) little girl Katie and met Elliot Gordon last night. She's still not sure about him.

We're at home now. My mother drove up and is taking care of us as we take care of little Maddie. We are so grateful for her help. Not sure what this would look like without it. We're both still pretty exhausted from no sleep during labor and the subsequent nights of feeding and diaper changing. Madeline is a little jaundiced and so she is in a "wallaby belt" that is showering her with UV light to help do what her liver still isn't capable of. It's sad, she can't be very comfortable and it's a bit hard to swaddle her with the belt and a big tube coming off of her. But it could be a lot worse I guess. We're happy to be home and are having a hard time not kissing her to death.

We are so grateful to God for entrusting this little one to us. It's overwhelming to think about at times and Karsee and I have both shed a few uncontrollable and unexpected tears. We're excited to see who Maddie is and who she will become. We're also very excited to teach her about what this whole world and life thing is about. This is so incredibly cool. Thank you Jesus.

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Brian and Karsee. We are proud of you both. But Brian, I don't know about you. Your blog has way too much detail for a normal guy. It should read something like. "Uh, we had our baby yesterday, girl I think. Everyone is fine. Bye."

Love you guys. Robert and Phama.

7:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian and Karsee,

Congratulations! I still remember vividly you both popping your heads out the door to cheer us on as we drove away in the night to have our first baby. In fact, I was just telling my - now two year old - Anna that when she was born there was a man who played the bagpipes downstairs. She didn't believe me. Hard to believe it myself! Anyway, I hope you remember not to play those bagpipes while Karsee and the baby are trying to nap! By the way, she really is a very beautiful baby. Not quite as beautiful as mine...put pretty close! :)

Praise God for His goodness to you both.

Love in Christ,
Sarah Dionne

8:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Brian & Karsee. It has been nice to hear that y'all are doing well.
Jim De Hoog

9:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey-
where are the pictures? I mean really enough about you....:)

ttbod
sarah

9:20 PM

 
Blogger Melanie said...

Can't wait to worship with the little one. By the way, Grayson likes brunettes. He's a lot cooler than that Elliot baby. Hugs and Kisses,
Peter Maynor

10:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, congrats, finally!!!! It is so funny that Maddy is jaundiced, because so was I...haha...small world...but I am so happy that all is well, and the pics didn't show up, so I still can't wait to see her!!!

10:51 PM

 
Blogger Andrew Dionne said...

Dear Brian and Karsee,

Praise God! A lovely name, I think. You have our prayers.

Warmly in Christ,

Andrew Dionne

7:58 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Brian and Karsee and Welcome little Maddie.

God's Blessings to you all. Looking forward to seeing Maddie here at school when it warms up.

Gerry Reimer

8:10 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Brian, it's an amazing ride and I am sure you are going to be a great Dad.

Mark Cain

9:07 AM

 
Blogger Amy said...

yeahhhhhhhhhh I'm glad to hear that you have a healthy baby! Its amazing to think what Kars went through. And you too Brian! But please don't stop with the details ...otherwise I wouldn't know anything! Congratulations to the two of you...Madeline is beautiful.

Amy

9:28 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are SO excited for you! Congratulations! (Urime! in Albanian).
Austin & Beverly

11:03 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bri, Kars and Maddie
So glad you are doing so well! We wish you God's richest blessings as you set out on your adventure together. Enjoy every minute. The fatigue will come and go forever, but the sleepless nights are so worth it. We wish you a lifetime of happiness and more little ones (after bringing 5 into the world, we can honestly say that there is enough love). We look forward to seeing little Maddie when you can get to Oklahoma City to visit us at OLCC.

Love and congratulations,
job well done, Karsee

Love, Carol and Robert Hefner IV

2:25 PM

 
Blogger Laura said...

She is so beautiful. What a perfect little gift. I'm so happy for the two of you and look forward to more pictures being posted!

Laura

4:07 PM

 
Blogger Laura said...

I thought it would print my last name. Sorry. Congrats again!

Laura Hays

4:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world, little Maddie! I am so glad to hear that you are here!
We are looking forward to actually seeing you!!
Phyllis and Steve Wheeler

4:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WONDERFUL NEWS! We are so excited for Maddie's safe arrival and for the marvel that God has brought into your lives! Congratulations from the Rinns : )

3:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm very excited and happy for you guys. What a cute baby! Thanks for the news and pics through this site. Helps to keep us in the loop.

- Mike from work (BJC)

3:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Brian and Karsee. What a joy to see the face of the child for which you have praying for all these months.. Enjoy every moment with this little one...they grow up quick. Bob and I will pray for you as you enter your parenting days....lots of physical needs....and the emotional needs will come. It's wonderful to know that God has blessed you with this child....and journey together will be wonderful

8:42 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! and praise God. Love, Kathleen

4:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home