I am the very model of a modern-day materialist.
That's exactly how I felt after our shooting-spree excursions to Target and Babies-R-Us last week. There's enough baby-related merchandise to daze and confuse a new mom and dad. I'm not sure which was more intimidating, the fact that I'm now a dad and that the rest of my life has changed forever, or the massive wall of scores of different bottle nipples in every size, shape, texture and new space-age polymer.
We are very grateful to our long-time friend and recent new-mom, Christina (Shenouda) Sadlow, who suggested we read "Baby Bargains" by Denise and Alan Fields before venturing out on our expedition. It was a huge help in sorting out what we need and what we don't when it comes to little Madeline's first year of life. Another fortunate turn of events came as we prepared to scan our first items in Target's baby wonderland last week. We ran into Christine and Elliot Gordon, out for an excursion of their own, replenishing Diaper Genie supplies and looking for a new pair of post-maternity pants for mom. They were a huge help. At first Chris and Michael were against pacifiers. In the aisle that morning though Chris suggested we scan three or four different types, and to get the pacifier keeper, the one that hooks to your child's shirt or car seat, or wherever else they may end up. She even opened a pack of new pacifiers while we were there to calm her little guy. She had apparently left his in the car. We hadn't really thought one way or the other about pacifier use, but we knew there were lines drawn and warring camps on this subject. Chris' argument in action convinced us.
Anyway, we scanned for a total of a couple of hours in two stores; pared the lists back online; and think we have a reasonable list of things we and little Maddie will likely "need" to get her started in the world. We're not sure about any showers as of yet, or even if there will be more than one put on by our friends here in Saint Louis. I think we're planning on being in Indianapolis for Thanksgiving this year with Karsee's mom's family; and we'll be in Oklahoma City for Christmas this year but probably won't have time in either place for a proper shower. With that in mind, we tried to find items that were available online and that could be delivered directly to us from the online stores. We also didn't register for many clothes. If you'd like to help us clothe Madeline, feel free to help her express herself through fashion. We trust you. Really.
Anything else? Oh yeah, Maddie's room will be a light pastel purple with white trim. We're still settling on a theme of some sort. Karsee is leaning toward bunnies. I like bugs (as in ladybugs and butterflies). Any suggestions?
Links to Maddie's two registries are here and above in the links section on the right:
Babies-R-Us Registry
Target Registry
Unfortunately, neither Target nor Babies-R-Us, carry the new 60GB iPod Video. Even more unfortunate is Karsee's firm stance that, "Madeline doesn't 'need' an iPod!" I know Karsee is wrong; I just haven't figured out the flaw in her argument yet. But I will. Any help would be appreciated. (And I hold the key to delete any comments in support of Karsee's position, so don't waste your time.)

4 Comments:
Thanks, Brain, for making sure that every person who checks out this site (who has also seen Pirates of Penzance) will get that song stuck in his/her head. Are you trying to make sure that people stop visiting your page out of fear?!!
(It was very clever, though--I laughed out loud)
10:06 AM
Just a quick note that we are ready for an update on Madeline...
11:33 AM
Let's try getting another song stuck in everybody's head..."It's the fiiinal countdowwwwnnnn!!!" (what? you don't know that one?)
Yep, that's right--Madeline Parr's shower is this Saturday. There will be much ooohing and ahhhing, many munchies, and many more PRESENTS! Can't wait to champion materialism on behalf of our little bundle of unborn joy!
9:11 AM
Brian, I agree Maddie needs an ipod...she could listen to classical or watch a little baby program on...I totally AGREE!!!
4:51 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home